My name is Blake Reynolds, and for the next few weeks I will be travelling to Malawi as part of the Canadian Co-operative Association's Management Coaching Program!


Thanks for stopping by as I prepare for, travel to, experience and finally bid farewell to the 'Warm Heart of Africa'!




Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Macon" out

Ok, so "Culture Shock" is a normal process.
"Humans are never <finished products>.  We refine, we rearrange, we revise, and we evolve.  In this fundamental context, cross-cultural adaptation as portrayed is simply a special case of ever-present learning and development process.  Strangers weather many disorienting dilemmas and in time 'stretch' themselves out of the boundaries of their original cultures.  In this creative process of self-reinvention, strangers discover new forms and symbols of life with which to forge new identities."
Becoming intercultural, Young Yun Kim,
Sage Publications, Inc. 2001.

It donned on me as I was walking down the though the market towards the 'Game' store (think Wal-Mart: Africa) that I am becoming much more comfortable with my surroundings.  Yes, I have been here a few days now, but I think it has more to do with the great people I am meeting while I am here.
As I was sitting at the local pizza shop with Erin eating a “Macon & chicken” pizza (Macon is beef bacon…restaurant owner is a nice Muslim man), I was thinking of a few things I have observed that anyone visiting Lilongwe, Malawi should know.  None are that negative but rather observations:
Traffic will not yield….ever.
A wise man told me "Lights or no, do not cross the street unless you are certain you can make it across".
When crossing the street, look RIGHT first.
The people shouting at you to get in thier minivan are actually the “bus drivers”…don’t panic.
When you land at the airport, someone will try to take your bag…then expect a tip.  Just get a firm grip and say “No Thank You”.
When the weather report says "overcast, rain, sun, thunder showers and partly cloudy"...they really do mean all in the same day.

Do not bother looking up weather reports for Malawi.

Visit Don Brioni’s Bistro (in area 4) at least once.  He and his wife are super friendly and will always come talk to you.  Lots of ex-pats, great food too!
There are at least 8 “fried chicken & chips” take-aways in a 1 km radius.
I will NEVER understand Cricket.
There will be a lot of people on the streets…but with nothing but cricket on TV who can blame them?
Malawians are really, really friendly.
I am not good at any non-traditional handshakes.
Though tobacco is one of Malawi’s major exports (guess who one of their top destination countries are), I have only seen maybe 6 people smoking since I have been there. 
When someone tells you “I am Righteous”…that’s their name.  See: Happy, Prayerful, Blessings.  It’s pretty cool really.
If you are at a market, window shop then come back with a local you trust, else pay the 200% “tourist tax”.
If you order “closed Chambo", be prepared to see a whole fish…head to tail.
The mosquito net over bed is there for a reason.
ALWAYS take your malaria meds.
There are many ways to exchange money (Ndalama) from ForEx (Foreign Exchange) offices to someone’s car, and the rate of return (and personal risk) can vary greatly.
North American wallets are not made for a the volume of Malawian Kwatcha (Mk).  Kwatcha bills literally increase in size the higher the denomination.  Also, imagine how many bills you would have to carry if you did not have debit and the highest bill you could ever get was a five. 
Do NOT drink the tap water, and ask for “no ice” in drinks.  No one will be offended.
The Chechewa greeting is “Muli bwanji”, and “Zicomo” means ‘Thank You’.  It gets easier to say each time you try and people appreciate the effort.
Did I mention Malawians are very friendly?
Always keep credits on your phone.
Malawi very beautiful country.  I have only seen a small part but have a feeling I am very correct.
Go to church, at least once.  Don't think about what it means to you...but understand what it means to them.  You are always welcome.
Observe and listen…absorb and learn.
Find out people’s stories, and understand where they are coming from.
“Kulemekeza” means ‘respect’.
“Gona” means ‘sleep’…sounds like a pretty good idea.
Until next time,
Tionana!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Blake, I'm enjoying it from Ghana! Glad to hear that you and Erin have made it safe and sound and are having a wonderful trip...safe travels!

    ReplyDelete