My name is Blake Reynolds, and for the next few weeks I will be travelling to Malawi as part of the Canadian Co-operative Association's Management Coaching Program!


Thanks for stopping by as I prepare for, travel to, experience and finally bid farewell to the 'Warm Heart of Africa'!




Friday, January 21, 2011

Over the Ocean...check!

Well, I've just completed my first overseas trip! It's hard to beleive that the lext leg of our trip from London to Nairobi, Kenya will be an even LONGER flight but it's still a great adventure!

We had already said goobye to our Uganda-team friends yesterday afternoon as they had to leave earlier yesterday, and even though we knew we'd be parting ways with the Ghana team at the airport it still seemed abrupt as we came apon their next terminal and quickly gave our hugs and well wishes.

We are now down to the 6 Malawi participants. We have a pretty huge 8-hour layover before we start boarding for our Air Kenya flight. I'm excited, I'm anxious and I am more than a bit sleepy. One thing the overseas flight provided me was the chance to brush up on some Malawi culture and history.

About Malawi
Malawi is a landlocked country that covers about 118,500 square kilometers in the South Eastern corner of Africa. 80% of its 15.4 Million person population live in rural areas, where agriculture plays a vital role.


The two official languages are English and Chichewa, a Bantu-related language. Over the last 100 years Malawi has moved from a British colony to commonwealth to a fully independant republic.


I could easily write what I have read regarding Malawians, but I do not think that would be fair to anyone. I can say that Stella and Mathias have left me with a great first impression, and I look forward to forging many new relationships in the 'Warm Heart of Africa'.

Thanks for tagging along!

Tionana!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the journey so far! The travel and time change will definitely make you tired, but the adventure of it all will lessen the effects. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just some quick advice on that nasty thing called "jet lag": STAY ON A NORMAL SCHEDULE!!! Go to bed at a decent time (9 or 10 p.m.) and get up at a decent hour (7 or 8). No naps during the day until you're adjusted. You'll do JUST FINE if you stick to this fail-proof plan. :)

    Have a wonderful experience, Blake! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Blake I did some research and you should try some Mbewa or Mbalame. From what I read they are a real delicacy in that country and are worthy trying out.

    ReplyDelete