My name is Blake Reynolds, and for the next few weeks I will be travelling to Malawi as part of the Canadian Co-operative Association's Management Coaching Program!


Thanks for stopping by as I prepare for, travel to, experience and finally bid farewell to the 'Warm Heart of Africa'!




Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meeting New Friends...

Day one in Ottawa is done as I continure my pre-Malawi preparations.  I FINALLY got to meet my fellow CCA adventurers as we convened at the CCA offices for our first day of training!
It's interesting how diverse a fairly small group can be, yet much we also have in common as we come together in this setting.  It's great to hear more stories and experiences from the coaches who are on their second (or more) year of volunteering, and it's great to hear the hopes and concerns of the other "newbs" as our departure dates creeps closer and closer.
For most of the day, we participated in course in Intercultural Effectiveness, facilitated by the Centre for Intercultural Learning (CIL).  What a great session!
It's really a shame that every single Canadian cannot receive this training.  Who do you know that would not benefit from learning more about Human Behaviour, includng our very concepts of culture, personality and human behaviour?  I look forward to resuming this session tomorrow!
I would have to say the highlight of the day was a chance to meet and chat with our 'Country Resource Person(s).  It was a great honour to be able to spend the afternoon with Stella Nyasulu and Mathias Mbendela who are both natives of Malawi and were kind enough to share their insight into Malawi life and culture!

The Malawi crew with Mathias and Stella

I am determined to learn some Chichewa, the national language in Malawi.  If I can master a typical Chichewa greeting (Moni, Muli bwanji?), I will so proud of myself!
Thanks to you both Stella and Mathias, thanks to you both I am feeling more excited than ever for my upcoming adventure!

Mathias, myself, Stella and Erin

Until next time,
Tionana!

No comments:

Post a Comment